Christmas is coming and shops will be filling up with brightly coloured, festive shaped rawhide dog treats. I am going to make this short and sweet……… FORGET THE RAWHIDE. There are far more healthy and safe options out there that will not cost you any more to buy and could potentially save you money on vet bills in the long run.
WHAT IS RAWHIDE?
- Rawhide is animal hide but it is most definitely now raw, it is very highly processed. As soon as the hide is removed from the carcass (typically cow, horse, pig, buffalo or deer) it is given a chemical bath to slow the immediate onset of rotting, although this may preserve the hide, it doesn’t completely stop decaying, just slows it down.
- The hide is then usually transported from the abattoir for the next treatment where it is coated in Ash-lye or sodium sulphide lime to strip away hair on the outside and fat on the underside
- More chemicals are then added that ‘puff’ the rawhide so it can be split into layers. The valuable outer layer is used for leather goods and the inner layer (that could possibly soon be inside your dog) becomes, glue, soap and dog chews (mmmm sounds lovely!! theoretically rawhide is cheap leather but it goes through a more intense bleaching process than the leather we see as bags, shoes and car seats. Would you feed your dog leather, or bleach?
- The inner layer of the rawhide is washed in bleach, hydrogen peroxide. If this isn’t strong enough to completely strip out the colour, other chemicals are added to whiten the hide and remove the smell of rotten carcass.
- Next, potentially carcinogenic colouring such as FD & C red 40 and titanium oxide or sodium benzoate are added.
- The material is then glued into pretty, aesthetically pleasing shapes to attract humans (not dogs).
WHAT ARE THE DANGERS?
- When rawhide is swallowed in big lumps, this slippery chew can cause choking (esophageal blockage) and is almost impossible to grab from your dog’s throat
- Rawhide can also cause Intestinal Blockages – Rawhide is not easily digestible (if at all)
- Rawhide can remain in your dog stomach for months causing gastrointestinal issues.
- All highly toxic chemicals involved in the production process are ingested when your dog swallows any rawhide
- Be Sure to know and trust exactly where your Rawhide chew is from because possible infection of Salmonella and E. coli. is not only confined to dogs.
- Dubious origins can also mean there are other unapproved additives.
SAFER ALTERNATIVES TO RAWHIDE
Some dogs and most puppy’s love to chew. They chew to aid and relieve teething. They chew because they are bored or just because they love it. There are so many safe dog and puppy chews and treats out there that giving rawhide is a danger and a health risk we can all avoid.
AUSTONLEY TREATS & CHEWS
Our selection of natural treats and chews are ethically sourced, from fully inspected factories and production plants that we trust. We choose only the finest ingredients that have been gently air dried or cold pressed to preserve vitamins and minerals. This way not only is your dog doing what they love to do the most (while protecting your house and furniture from those huge canine teeth), Natural Treats and Chews promote dental health and hygiene, aiding in the removal of tartar and plaques during the chewing process. Natural Treats and Chews also have many other health benefits
Did you know that: (I will just give you a few examples)
Beef Trachea is made up of cartilage with is rich in Glucosamine. Fed as a dehydrated chew your dog is getting Adequan, this is usually extracted from beef trachea and given as an intramuscular shot, so cut out the middleman and just give your dog trachea. Great for joints
Chicken Feet – (and all other poultry feet)
Chicken feet are full of natural glucosamine and make a great crunchy snack. Great for joints
Chicken & Duck Necks – Poultry necks
Poultry Necks have numerous nutritional benefits. Necks provide minerals like calcium and phosphorous and are a natural source of Glucosamine and Chondroitin. Great for joints
Ears are a great source of calcium and the air-drying process preserves other valuable vitamins and minerals. Also great for removing tartar and plaque, benefiting dental health. Hairy chews are also a natural wormer, whilst the chew is digested, any parasites in the digestive tract cling to the hair which is then passed.
High protein, low fat, another great source of glucosamine and long lasting
Fish Treats – Dried Sprats & Herring – Fish Skin Treats
Fish and Fish Skin is such a great source of so many nutrients that support optimal health in both dogs and humans. High in protein, omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin E. Fish and Fish Skins contribute to muscle growth, improved heart health, healthy skin and coat….. the list goes on.
What if you dog food claims it contains everything your dog needs?
Although your dog food may claim it contains supplements, eg joint pack. It could be the case that it does not actually contain an amount that will actually do very much!! It is a good idea to diversify and get all this goodness into your dog in as many ways as possible – kibble, fresh food and healthy treats and snacks.